[extropy-chat] ethical issues with children

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Mon Jan 22 21:14:38 UTC 2007

spike wrote:
> Another example: get odd jobs, work hard etc.  This seemed right at the
> time, but the youthful time I spent working minimum wage jobs for a
> pittance
> is worse than lost, for on at least one of those jobs I accumulated
> injuries
> that are with me to this day.

Ouch. I learned a lot from working as a postman, especially why I wanted a
job with no heavy lifting, no early mornings and lots of intellectual
stimulance. I think there is a point in getting a few short+term jobs in
different areas than your core speciality. I learned a tremendous amount
by producing a neuroscience exhibition, especially since I had to work
closely with designers, carpenters and other groups of people I would
normally not have much to do with.

As for useful skills, I think the self-esteem that comes from being to
make something, whether it is software, a machine or art, is extremely
useful. So repairing cars might not be practically important, but it gives
Isaac the delight of knowing how the world works "under the hood"
(literally in this case) and that one can fix it. I think the same goes
for self-defence.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics