[extropy-chat] "10 Questions for György Buzsáki "

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 20:37:32 UTC 2007

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/01/10-questions-for-gyki.php

interesting interview e.g.:

6. Your discussion of the brain's first rhythm could make one feel
that we are close to understanding when meaningful cognition begins.
Does your knowledge of EEG patterns and their underpinnings influence
your thinking about beginning-of-life, end-of-life, or even animal
rights debates?

I believe that cognition begins once the 1/f features of cortical
rhythms emerge because this dynamics represents global (i.e.,
distributed) computation and only structures with these features
appear to generate conscious experience. The ontogenetic appearance
of 1/f dynamics coincides with the emergence of long-range
cortico-cortical projections. In the newborn human the 1/f global
feature of the EEG is already present. On the other hand, in preterm
babies, depending on the gestation age, long seconds of neuronal
silence alternate with short, spatially localized oscillatory bursts
(known as "delta brush"), like in sharks and lizards. These localized
intermittent cortical patterns in the premature brain, and similar
ones in the strictly locally organized adult cerebellum, cannot give
rise to conscious awareness, no matter the size. From this
perspective, the structure-function relations between the small world
network-like features of the cerebral cortex and the resultant global
rhythms appear as necessary conditions for awareness. Earlier
developmental stages without these properties simply do not have the
necessary ingredients of the product we call cognition.