[extropy-chat] man man

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 06:31:02 UTC 2007

Welp.

WE had it HARD.

WE didn't even have ones *and* zeroes. We had to cobble ones out of
piles of zeroes squasht 'til flat and tilted up on t'sides like.

AND there was only one way to get the binary into the computer--we
pushed the bits down the wire with our FINGERS 'til they were RAW an'
BLEEDIN' (the fingers, mind, not the bits)... Like choking a baby
python on peas, it was. You'd see the bits goin' down and the wires
would convulse for a spell, and eventually the answer would barf back
out on a single wee grain-of-wheat lamp. Classic Morse code it was,
1850s-style, none'a yer fancy International Morse, thank you very
much.

But we were HAPPY.