[extropy-chat] Questionnaire on senses

ben benboc at lineone.net
Fri Jan 26 22:20:25 UTC 2007

Anders wrote:

 >I wonder if odors could be used in ambient information visualisation
 >(odification?). Imagine having the relative development of your stocks
 >waft through the ventilation as a discreet odor mix.

I had to read that twice, thought you were talking about socks, not stocks.
Which would make more sense to me!

Someone with synaesthetic tendencies like yourself could maybe make
sense of data presented as smells, but i'm pretty sure i wouldn't. I
don't even get pictures in my head when listening to music, as i
understand a lot of people do. And i'm not sure why, if smells have
visual equivalents, you wouldn't just use the visual data in the first
place? Probably much easier to encode digitally, for one thing, as well
as more accessible to people.

Is sandalwood higher or lower than acetone? :)

ben zaiboc