[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings, not

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 00:07:33 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> This is a long way from John's "BULLSHIT!" It's worth noting that
> MIT's Peter Hagelstein (who seems to have been treated very shabbily
> as a result of his continued interest in CF research) was the
> breakthrough designer of Xasers. Not really your high school teacher.
>
> Damien Broderick

Jumping in: MY problem is with the NAME "cold FUSION", Damien. To set
my own viewpoint, I prefer to use phrases like "probably junk science"
rather than "certainly bullsh*t".

[In passing: the rhetoric surrounding this matter probably totals more
heat than all the experiments so far performed. 1/2 :)]

My car's engine gets hot when it runs. Though this is in the long run
due to energy release involving some elements that were formed in one
or more supernovae, it is infelicitous (arguably, nearly bullsh*t) to
call my car's engine a fusion motor.

I assume you've read a transcript of Langmuir's classic "pathological
science" talk, yes?

--
      Michael M. Butler  :  m m b u t l e r  ( a t )  g m a i l . c o m

'Piss off, you son of a bitch. Everything above where that plane hit
 is going to collapse, and it's going to take the whole building with it.
 I'm getting my people the fuck out of here."
   -- Rick Rescorla (R.I.P.), cell phone call, 9/11/2001