[extropy-chat] blatant self aggrandizement

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 21:26:58 UTC 2007

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of pjmanney
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] blatant self
> aggrandizement
> >
> > Damien Broderick wrote:
> >
> > >I'm far too shy and discreet to mention that
> K-MACHINES, the second
> > >book in my Tegmark-ish Singularity diptych begun
> with GODPLAYERS, has
> > >just been awarded the 2007 Aurealis Award for
> best Australian science
> > >fiction novel of 2006.
> >
> > CONGRATULATIONS!!!  That's fantabulous!
> Self-aggrandize away -- you
> > deserve it!
> >
> > PJ
>

> When one congratulates oneself, even if perfectly
> appropriate, the word
> sometimes used is self-aggrandizement.  Since we
> here at ExI share in the
> reflected glow of this achievement and it is we who
> are doing the
> congratulating, these posts should be called
> someone-else-aggrandizement.
> When one is cut down with harsh words, the speaker
> is said to belittle the
> receiver of insults.  There should be an opposite,
> which one would suppose
> would be the clumsy sounding "bebig."

I believe you mean "embiggen", Spike, as in Damien's
work embiggens the rest of us. Thanks, Damien. ;) If
you look it up on wikipedia, you will see that
"embiggen" is much more "cromulent" for this purpose
than "bebig".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culturally_significant_phrases_from_The_Simpsons

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison