[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 28 22:55:07 UTC 2007

At 02:36 PM 1/28/2007 -0800, Eliezer wrote:

>Yes, I've met ordinary mortals and been deeply shocked by the things
>they didn't know - but they still didn't believe that Star Wars is based
>on a true story.

I viewed this (the guy made a slight hesitation, as I recall) as him
*interpreting* the question, perhaps as "Is Star Wars based on a
Bible battle? or WW2? or the Vietnam War?" Oh, wait, the Vietnam War,
what was that?

But I understand that the people really were not actors with a
script; as for their conjectured desire to out-goof the Aussie, or
grab some screen time, well, maybe. And maybe those 63% Americans who
claim a literal belief in the Barbel are jest funnin' yez, too.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43957

<The survey taken Thursday and Friday by
<http://www.rasmussenreports.com>Rasmussen Reports found just 24
percent thinking otherwise.

When broken down into different demographics, the poll showed 77
percent of Republicans believe in the literal truth of the Bible as
do 59 percent of Democrats and 50 percent of those not affiliated
with either major party. >

For what such surveys are worth...

Damien Broderick