[extropy-chat] Education monopolies [was: Education in 2030]

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Mon Jan 29 01:58:20 UTC 2007

Wiki pedia Error Rates vs Britannica

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/16/wikipedia_britannica_science_compari
son/

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ben Goertzel
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 5:13 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Education monopolies [was: Education in 2030]

The issue with Wikipedia is that random people can edit it and insert
incorrect information.  The incidence of this is low but not zero, and I bet
the error rate in Wikipedia is higher than in conventional encyclopedias.

If I were a professor these days, I would allow students to cite Wikipedia
as a general principle, but ask them to cite more reliable sources for
highly critical pices of information...

-- Ben