[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Mon Jan 29 13:01:57 UTC 2007

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:middle of the crowd.

> If my vague acquaintance with the present state of g-factor research
> serves me correctly, this is not so.  10 points makes a considerable
> difference in life outcomes within the 80-120 range.

Yes, although the effects get larger in the lower range. There is a
threshold effect in being able to understand written work instructions
(around 95, I think) that really makes a lot of difference for life
outcomes. See Linda Gottfredson's papers on real life uses of
intelligence, they are very interesting.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics