[extropy-chat] blatant self aggrandizement

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 00:18:10 UTC 2007

At 10:49 PM 1/29/2007 +0000, BillK (a UKsian) wrote:

>In Damien's case you have to remember that he comes from an Australian
>cultural background, where mocking the self-important is traditional.

Spot-on. Even though I've been steeped in US literature and popular
culture all my life, it wasn't until I'd been living here for a
couple of years that I finally cottoned on to how extremely *alien*
this mind-set seems to be to most USians. I don't mean that Americans
are pompously self-important, but rather that a certain *thrusting*
quality is not merely acceptable but almost mandatory if you want to
get anywhere and be taken seriously. And somehow this is combined
with a sort of politeness beside which Aussie self-mocking irony
looks oafish and bumpkinish (whereas we tend to regard brandished
self-confidence as a sign of the con artist, and carefully cover our wallets).

Damien Broderick