[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jan 30 09:41:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:51:21PM -0500, Keith Henson wrote:

> It's reproducible, it just isn't consistently reproducible.  And far worse,

If there's a particular device which generates excess heat (giant
output is reported on occasion, including destruction of the apparatus)
that lab would become scientific Mecca. Even if you can't reproduce
the experiment elsewhere, if you have a working system it can
be verified by visitors on-site.

Are there any?

> there is no accepted or even plausible theory.  It is so random in when it

That's not a problem, as long as there's an observable effect.
Even if it's occasional, and takes magic experiments which are hard
to reproduce. A few of these world-wide would be enough.

Are there any?

> turns on that you think of cosmic ray hits.  Maybe it is muon related and
> *does* take cosmic rays.  Or perhaps it is the result of a few free
> quarks.  Google charge niobium spheres and read a few articles.  Physics as
> we know it does not permit fractional charges.

The only information I see on this is from 1978-1981. No further
work seems to have been done since. Maybe that's one for JIR.

>  From what I know about it, and I have followed this business for a long
> time, even if they do figure out the physics, it may be useless for
> anything but pocket warmers.

I wouldn't call 1000% excess heat (many claims, and easy enough
to measure even in a garage) just useful for pocket warmers.