[ExI] Neuroscience Question

Neil Halelamien neilh at caltech.edu
Fri Jul 13 02:23:15 UTC 2007

An interesting bit of trivia: It was recently discovered that whales also
have spindle cells. This is likely an example of convergent evolution, as
none of the species along the genetic tree traversal between great apes and
whales seem to have spindle-like cells. And no, they don't seem to be
present in dolphins.

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2006/1127/1
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/113473213/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0