[ExI] keith in the news again

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 13 04:43:57 UTC 2007

The AP text:

Battle with Scientology sparks Schwarzenegger pardon request
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 07/07/2007 12:29:22 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO---A former Silicon Valley computer consultant whose
decade-long fight with the Church of Scientology led to his ruin is
asking Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to free him from a Riverside County jail.

Keith Henson's crusade against the church brought him a misdemeanor
conviction for interfering with the rights of others to practice their
religion. The 64-year-old Californian is now two months into a six-month
jail sentence for the crime.

It is the latest development in a war that forced Henson into bankruptcy
and prompted him to flee to Canada to ask for political asylum.

Henson's troubles began in the mid-1990s, when he was living in Palo
Alto and happened upon an Internet page criticizing the church for
operating more like a cult.

Henson published documents on the Internet detailing Scientology's
approach to medical treatment. The church sued him for copyright
infringement and won $75,000 in damages after a four-day trial in 1998.

The ruling forced Henson into bankruptcy. But he moved to Southern
California and began picketing Scientology organizations. He was
arrested outside a Scientology facility in Riverside County in July 2000
and charged with making terrorist threats and interfering with religious
rights.

He fled to Canada in 2001 and sought political asylum. When he was
denied asylum in 2005, he returned to the United States and was arrested
in February.

His wife and daughter drove two days from Arizona to Sacramento to
present Schwarzenegger on Friday with a petition seeking a pardon or
clemency.

A Schwarzenegger spokesman wouldn't comment on the request.

---------

--
 David Harris, Palo Alto, California.
               GPS location: 37.41988, -122.13388 (1984 WGS system).
 Active account: dharris234 at mindspring.com
 Phone: 1-650-856-9126 (has answering machine or me)
 Lifetime e-mail forwarding account: David.C.Harris at stanfordalumni.org
 Postal ("snail mail") address: David Harris
                                Medintrans
                                455 Margarita Ave.
                                Palo Alto, CA  94306-2827