[ExI] water control

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:01:44 UTC 2007

On 17/07/07, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> > Subject: Re: [ExI] water control
> >
> > At 04:12 PM 7/16/2007 -0700, Spike wrote:
> >

> > >Texas has been
> > >recently pounded by excess rain.  Pahdnuh.  But this is a problem that
> > >can be solved.
> >
> > Here's more than you could possibly want to know
> > about one plan based in part on naturally replenishable aquifers:
> >
> > http://www.swtexaslive.com/july2006/eason
>

> Damien, you are surely more studied up on this than I, but I have a hard
> time taking too seriously the notion than an underground lake could be
> depleted permanently.  If water is drawn out of the ground thru a pipe, my
> intuition is that water can be dropped back down there, thru the same pipe
> if necessary, to be drawn up again when it is needed.  It seems to me that
> aquifers could be used as capacitors for water, especially useful in times
> of flooding such as the Texas events described by the local "news" agencies.
>
> Your childhood home Australia is a dry continent.  The Australians should
> have developed some really bitchin water control technologies.  We have much
> to learn from them, ja?

I'm about to start working for a company looking at doing exactly
that. The idea is to put stormwater down into the acquifer during
winter (after cleaning up a bit and yada yada details that the
software guy doesn't need to know), and pump it back out as needed
during summer, especially for watering greenspace stuff like sports
fields I think.

It's still early days though.

Emlyn