[ExI] A Cyborg or a transhuman ?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Jul 20 22:33:59 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> A cyborg, or cybernetic organism, is an organism composed of
> integrated artificial and natural systems.  So present-day, low-level
> cyborgs include humans with cochlear implants, hearing aids, cardiac
> or neural pacemakers, eyeglasses, etc.

I suppose I should clarify that I mean "integrated" in the sense of
functionally integrated with the organism rather than necessarily
physically integrated.  This may be objectionable to those who would
consider "fixed" or "permanent" physical integration a requirement,
which could lead to disputes on the nature of "permanent" analogous to
disputes over personal identity.

- Jef