[ExI] "Up against the warming zealots"...hmmm

Elaa Mohamad emohamad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:45:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:31:59 +0100
> Nymph0 <nymphomation at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23/07/07, Elaa Mohamad <emohamad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When was the last time everybody had a reason to be interested in the
> > environment?
>
> Scandinavians in the 1970s viz a vie acid rain, for one.

The question was "when was the last time __everybody__ had a reason to
be interested in the environment", not "when did __specific groups in
a specific time frame__  have a reason..."
I will risk making the assumption that a very large percentage of
people is most certainly aware or would at least agree with the claim
that there in specific geographical areas in a given time period
there __was__ environmental damage, irrespectively of the cause. I
consider myself being in this group (being aware). The point I was
trying to make is that the "silent majority" always thinks in terms
how a given event/fact affects them individually, asking the question
"And how does that relate to __me__?"
In other words, the Scandinavians had acid rain and were very
concerned about it, but at the same time some other nation (even the
one that might be directly responsible for the environmental damage)
couldn't care less - because it wasn't happening to them and they
weren't directly negatively affected.
On the other hand, the greenhouse effect or whateveryouwannacallit -
the negative environmental processes have recently started affecting
quite a number of nations directly, and thus __everybody__ is becoming
interested in it.

Eli

>On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:43:30,
>Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

>>On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:00:07PM +0200, Elaa Mohamad wrote:
>> When was the last time everybody had a reason to be interested in the
>> environment?

>http://www.runet.edu/~wkovarik/envhist/

Nice link :)