[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:23:09 UTC 2007

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:09:30AM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >
> >    I don't see how that's possible. How is the AI going to comandeer the
> >    R&D facilities, organise manufacture of new hardware, make sure that
>
> A few years ago a few people made the experiment of obtaining their
> livelihood without leaving their room. They ordered stuff on the Internet,
> and had it delivered right into their home. It worked. It would have
> worked just as well if the credit card numbers were stolen.
>
> How much hardware is there on the global network right now? You might
> be surprised. How much networked hardware will be there 50, 80, 100
> years from now? Most to all of it. Desktop fabs will be widespread.
> Also, people would do about anything for money. Very few would resist
> the temptation of a few quick megabucks on the side.
>
> I really see no issues breaking out of containment by remote hardware
> takeover, using which to build more hardware. The old adage of
> "we'll pull their plugs" has always sounded ill-informed to me.

With all the hardware that we have networked and controlling much of the
technology of the modern world, has any of it spontaneously decided to take
over for its own purposes? Do you know of any examples where the factory has
tried to shut out the workers, for example, because it would rather not be a
slave to humans? The reply that current software and hardware isn't smart
enough won't do: in biology, the very dumbest of organisms are constantly
and spontaneously battling to take over the smartest, often with devastating
results.

--
Stathis Papaioannou