[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:56:57 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ### Because the malicious can eat humans, while the nice ones have to
> feed humans, and protect them from being eaten, and still eat
> something to be strong enough to fight off the bad ones. In other
> words, nice AI will have to carry a lot of inert baggage.
>
> And by "eating" I mean literally the destruction of humans bodies,
> e.g. by molecular disassembly.

Actually it's the other way around. Man-eating bots would have to carry a
huge amount of fantastically complex baggage: the ability to survive,
reproduce and adapt in the wild. (So much so, in fact, that they won't exist
in the first place; it would take a Manhattan Project to create them, and
who's going to pay that much money to be eaten?) Good-guy bots can delegate
all that to human designers (assisted by computers that don't have to run on
battery power) and factories; they can be slimmed down, specialized for
killing the man-eating bots.