[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:25:26 UTC 2007

> You'd need a Manhattan project for machine-phase in any case.
> Gadgets to gobble up the ecosphere would only require a few more
> key extras.

Oh, getting to machine phase will take far more than a mere Manhattan
project; it'll be the work of generations for whole industries. No, a $100
billion engineering effort for man-eating robots is assuming machine phase
already exists as a prerequisite. It would be counterable by a fraction of
that investment in bot-killing robots.

In reality, of course, the resources available to defense would be many
orders of magnitude higher than those available to the would-be creators of
the man-eating robots. (If you disagree, have a go at raising venture
capital with the business plan "I'm going to design a robot that goes around
and eats everyone", see how far you get.)