[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Jun 2 16:29:08 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou

> We worry about viruses and bacteria, and they're not very smart. We worry
> about giant meteorites that might be heading our way, and they're even
> dumber than viruses and bacteria.

That is true, and that is one reason I don't think AI will allow stupid
humans to live at the same level of reality as his precious hardware; he's
bound to be a bit squeamish about that, it would be like a monkey running
around an operating room.  If he lets us live it will be in a virtual world
behind a heavy firewall, but that's OK, we'll never know the difference
unless he tells us.

> Intelligence, particularly human level intelligence, is just a fluke

Agreed.

> If it were specially adaptive, why didn't it evolve independently many
> times

Because it's just a fluke, and because intelligence unlike emotion is hard
and Evolution is a slow, crude, idiotic way to make complex things; it's
just that until the invention of brains it was the only way to make complex
things.

> Why don't we see evidence of it having taken over the universe?

Because some disaster we don't understand (drug addiction?) awaits any mind
if it advances beyond a certain point, or because we are the first; somebody
had to be.

> Some people on this list seem to think that an AI would compute the
> unfairness of its not being in charge and do something about it as if
> unfairness is something that can be formalised in a mathematical theorem.

You seem to understand the word "unfairness", did you use a formalized
PROVABLE mathematical theorem to comprehend it? Or perhaps you think meat by
its very nature has more wisdom than silicon. We couldn't be talking about a
soul could we?

  John K Clark