[ExI] Ethics and Emotions are not axioms (Was Re: Unfriendly AI is a mistaken idea.)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 4 06:53:59 UTC 2007

At 04:35 PM 6/4/2007 +1000, Stathis wrote:

>They might look forward to having their heads eaten, write poetry
>about it, make it the central tenet of their ethical sytem,

Nicely put!

>and regard individuals who don't want to go through with it in much
>the same way as we regard people who are depressed and suicidal.

Rather, and poignantly/absurdly, in much the way most people regard
those who *don't want inevitably to age and die "when it's their
time"* and wish to find scientific means to avoid doing so. "You
blasphemous fools, just knuckle down and *get your heads eaten* as
the Great Mantis Mother demands! Go on, you'll find it very rewarding!"

Damien Broderick