[ExI] Ethics and Emotions are not axioms

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 4 07:15:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 03:40:19PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Six micrograms per person, hmmm.

This is not a lot.

> For estimation purposes, the earth's atoms can be modeled as half oxygen,
> one sixth iron, one sixth silicon and one sixth magnesium, with everything
> else negligible for one digit BOTECs.  (Is that cool or what?  Did you know
> it already?  This isn't mass fraction, but atomic fraction which I used for
> a reason.)
>
> So six micrograms isn't much, but it still works out to about 700 trillion
> atoms of oxygen, 200 trillion atoms of iron, magnesium and aluminum each,
> with a few trillion atoms of debris thrown in for free.  So I guess I will
> buy Lee's conjecture of earth being good for 10^33 uploaded humans.

I don't. Rod logic takes about cm^3 to store relevant number of bits of
a human brain -- just to store, not to run it. In order to achieve that
10^6 speedup, you need a lot more.

(This relates for whole body emulation, native AI or transcoded folks
can be more compact, but just how more is not yet known).

> But I don't see that as a limit.  Since a nearly arbitrarily small computer
> could run a human process (assuming we knew how to do it, until which even

That's a rather large assumption to make. Do not underestimate biology,
the more I study it, the more I'm impressed with its functionality
concentration. You need machine-phase to beat it, with self-assembly
you can only about match it.