[ExI] a doubt concerning the h+ future

John Grigg desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 11:53:08 UTC 2007

Spike wrote:
  spike,

who is in the mood for a little silliness on a gorgeous Sunday
afternoon in
June.  I hope ye are enjoying being alive this fine day, and think
often of
how lucky we are to have been born so late in human history.

  I keep on asking myself "was I simply just *lucky* to have been born when I was?"  Did we all simply win some sort of uncaring cosmic lottery to have been born in this time period and in the developed world?  I don't think of myself as a lucky guy and so this line of thinking really disturbs me.  But then I come from a religious background.

  My brand-new nephew, Luc who was born last December is a dang lucky one! lol  As long as his health holds out and an accident or violence doesn't claim him, he stands a good chance of actually seeing the Singularity we all love to post about.  And both his parents are very bright people so he is probably quite equipped to handle the challenges ahead.

  John Grigg

spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
> On Jun 3, 2007, at 10:23 AM, John K Clark wrote:
> > ... probability of your keyboard turning into a
> > teapot is greater than zero (and it is) ...
>
> This is getting incredibly silly. There is nothing in science or
> physics that will allow one macro object to spontaneously turn into a
> totally different macro object... - samantha

It's all in how you define the term teapot. You spill your tea into your
keyboard; that keyboard now both contains tea and heats it, since there are
electronics in there. So your keyboard has become a teapot (assuming a very
loose definition of the term.)

Insincerely yours