[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 17:56:14 UTC 2007

Stathis wrote:

> "No we couldn't: we'd have to almost destroy the
> whole Earth. A massive
> meteorite might kill all the large flora and fauna,
> but still leave some
> micro-organisms alive. And there's always the
> possibility that some disease
> might wipe out most of humanity. We're actually less
> capable at combating
> bacterial infection today than we were several
> decades ago, even though our
> biotechnology is far more advanced. The bugs are
> matching us and sometimes
> beating us."

Well, this is just splitting hairs growing on hairs
but we will be in a good position to destroy all
microorganisms and the useful earth within a couple
decades, with something like molecular manufacturing.
And it wouldn't require any genetic change to
homosapiens. We must prevent that from happening of
course, and we will. Microorganisms could never
possibly destroy themselves as a species because they
lack the intelligence to make it happen, unfortunately
that's not the case with us.

Do you honestly believe that the products of our human
intelligence haven't conferred any survival or
reproductive advantages, compared to other animals?

> "I disagree with that: it's far easier to see how
> intelligence could be both
> incrementally increased (by increasing brain size,
> for example) and
> incrementally useful than something like the eye,
> for example. Once nervous
> tissue developed, there should have been a massive
> intelligence arms race,
> if intelligence is that useful."

But the eye also evolved slowly. It likely began as a
photo-sensitive skin pigmentation, that slowly evolved
concavity, and so on. Human intelligence has only
evolved once so far, because it was a much bigger,
more complex, more unlikely "project".

Below a certain threshold, I totally agree, a small
incremental improvement in intelligence isn't likely
to confer all that much benefit relative to the other
animals. The likely threshold is the capacity to
utilize tools (like sticks and rocks in multiple,
varied ways) and to make tools. And I suspect that
that one leap was *extremely* improbable, as evolution
customarily never makes leaps but only baby-steps -
and then only if they convey immediate  aggregate
advantage. Imagine suddenly taking away from humans
every invention we have ever made; would we really be
much more "fit" than the other animals until we began
making tools again? Probably not. Also, evolution
could not have produced intelligence unless certain
prerequisites were already in place. Magically giving
a cactus human-level intelligence isn't likely to
improve its survival or reproduction. The evolution of
intelligence would require a means of perceiving the
world (senses) and acting within in it (locomotion) -
in such a way that the benefits of having more
intelligence could be expressed in terms of advantages
in survival or reproduction. And the parent animal
would need to already have the physiology to allow the
creation of tools: eg. standing semi-erect, and the
infamous opposable thumb. That's why the cactus
doesn't already have human-level intelligence, even
though multicellular plants are way, way older than
apes. So for these sorts of reasons, I consider the
evolution of human intelligence as something of a
miracle (in the strictly non-religious sense, of
course). And something highly improbable, in all
likelihood.

> "It seems more likely to me that life is very
> widespread, but intelligence is
> an aberration."

Yes, I meant that we are the first significant
intelligence in this Universe, in my estimation.
Intelligence is just an aberration like you say, but
once it reaches human-level, it also happens to be
extremely useful.

Best,

Jeffrey Herrlich