[ExI] Enjoying being alive, and so late in human history

John Grigg desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 08:31:45 UTC 2007

Damien Broderick wrote:
  *Human* history, maybe. But how unlucky to have been born (and, very
likely, die) so early in *sophont* history.

  Damn! Some of us do have the worst luck.  I often feel the same way.  What I like about cryonics/transhumanism is that it gives me hope of just barely by the skin of my teeth making it.  Damien, you are the sort of thoughtful & kind and yet tough & sarcastic guy that I definitely want to see make it to "the other side."  You will tell those haughty Posthumans where to go when they display an attitude!

  I was curious to see if *sophont* meant anything different from *sentient* and so I went "a-googling" for an answer.  I came across http://jessesword.com/sf/home which brought back fond teen memories of when I had an SF artbook (who was that artist and writer?) that provided many classic definitions combined with great illustrations.

  you continue:
  Then again, those great minds might, after all, find something to envy in us: recall those
haunting words of St. Arthur Clarke:

  "They will have time enough, in those endless aeons, to attempt all
things, and to gather all knowledge. They will not be like gods,
because no gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers
they will command. But for all that, they may envy us, basking in the
bright afterglow of Creation; for we knew the Universe when it was young."

  Perhaps I was forever scarred by reading Lovecraft in my formative years but I see humanity going out into the cosmos and then getting "our ass handed to us" by the powers lurking out there.

  John Grigg : (