[ExI] Estonia views

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Jun 7 21:48:59 UTC 2007

Lee:
>Very, very nice!  For anyone who's never been to Estonia, or who
>appreciates northeast European architecture, you oughtta take a look.
>(Also, thanks for the nice shot of the bookstore---made me feel
>right at home  :-)

The architecture is particular to the Hansa trading route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

Riga's architecture is different. It is in the art nouveau style.
Riga was called "the Paris of the North" before the Soviet occupation.
My back seat pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spaceviolins/sets/72157600296724260/
do not do justice to Riga.. it is a glorious, majestic city.

These pics:
http://www.terryblackburn.us/Travel/Baltics/Latvia/artnouveau/index.html
are better.

>(Also, thanks for the nice shot of the bookstore---made me feel
>right at home  :-)

There are two bookstore pics.. can you find the second one in my
Riga pictures?

I love bookstores, and miss them alot, so these two pictures were
taken for sentimental reasons.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA