[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 17:45:39 UTC 2007

Stathis wrote:

> "However, it isn't so
> surprising if we sometimes make good decisions based
> on emotions, since the
> evolution of emotions predates intelligence, as John
> Clark reminds us."

The evolution of emotions **doesn't** predate
intelligence, it's the other way around. An insect
isn't as intelligent as a person, but that doesn't
mean it has no intelligence. I know that's
counter-intuitive, but with evolutionary progression
you can't have emotions if you don't have
consciousness, and you can't have consciousness if you
don't have intelligence. Take for example the visual
cortex. First a stimulus must be *intelligently*
processed within the visual cortex, using intelligent
algorithms. Then the visual subject "emerges" into
consciousness after sufficient intelligent processing.
Then and only then can a person begin to form an
emotional reaction to whatever is consciously seen; a
loved-one for instance. Then the forming emotional
experience feeds back into consciousness so that a
person becomes aware of the emotion in addition to the
visual subject. There's only *one* direction in which
emotion could possibly have naturally evolved:

1)Intelligence
2)Consciousness
3)Emotion

Best,

Jeffrey Herrlich

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/07, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
> Formerly, I had agreed with John because at
> > least for human beings, emotion sometimes
> > plays an important part in what one would
> > think of as purely intellectual functioning. I was
> > working off the Damasio card experiments,
> > which seem to show that humans require---for
> > full intellectual power---some emotion.
>

> Here is an excerpt from the relevant paper:
>

> ###
>
> Science Volume 275(5304), 28 February 1997, pp
> 1293-1295
>
> Deciding Advantageously Before Knowing the
> Advantageous Strategy
> [Report]
>
> Bechara, Antoine; Damasio, Hanna; Tranel, Daniel;
> Damasio, Antonio R.
>
> In a gambling task that simulates real-life
> decision-making in the way it
> factors uncertainty, rewards, and penalties, the
> players are given four
> decks of cards, a loan of $2000 facsimile U.S.
> bills, and asked to play so
> that they can lose the least amount of money and win
> the most

[1]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#19>.
> Turning each card carries an immediate reward ($100
> in decks A and B and $50
> in decks C and D). Unpredictably, however, the
> turning of some cards also
> carries a penalty (which is large in decks A and B
> and small in decks C and
> D). Playing mostly from the disadvantageous decks (A
> and B) leads to an
> overall loss. Playing from the advantageous decks (C
> and D) leads to an
> overall gain. The players have no way of predicting
> when a penalty will
> arise in a given deck, no way to calculate with
> precision the net gain or
> loss from each deck, and no knowledge of how many
> cards they must turn to
> end the game (the game is stopped after 100 card
> selections). After
> encountering a few losses, normal participants begin
> to generate SCRs before
> selecting a card from the bad decks

[2]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#20>and
> also begin to avoid the decks with large losses

[1]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#19>.
> Patients with bilateral damage to the ventromedial
> prefrontal cortices do
> neither

[1,2]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#19>
> .
>
> To investigate whether subjects choose correctly
> only after or before
> conceptualizing the nature of the game and reasoning
> over the pertinent
> knowledge, we continuously assessed, during their
> performance of the task,
> three lines of processing in 10 normal participants
> and in 6 patients

[3]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#21>with
> bilateral damage of the ventromedial sector of the
> prefrontal cortex
> and decision-making defects. These included (i)
> behavioral performance, that
> is, the number of cards selected from the good decks
> versus the bad decks;
> (ii) SCRs generated before the selection of each
> card

[2]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#20>;
> and (iii) the subject's account of how they
> conceptualized the game and of
> the strategy they were using. The latter was
> assessed by interrupting the
> game briefly after each subject had made 20 card
> turns and had already
> encountered penalties, and asking the subject two
> questions: (i) "Tell me
> all you know about what is going on in this game."
> (ii) "Tell me how you
> feel about this game." The questions were repeated
> at 10-card intervals and
> the responses audiotaped.
>
> After sampling all four decks, and before
> encountering any losses, subjects
> preferred decks A and B and did not generate
> significant anticipatory SCRs.
> We called this period pre-punishment. After
> encountering a few losses in
> decks A or B (usually by card 10), normal
> participants began to generate
> anticipatory SCRs to decks A and B. Yet by card 20,
> all indicated that they
> did not have a clue about what was going on. We
> called this period pre-hunch
> (Figure

1<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#FF1>).
> By about card 50, all normal participants began to
> express a "hunch" that
> decks A and B were riskier and all generated
> anticipatory SCRs whenever they
> pondered a choice from deck A or B. We called this
> period hunch. None of the
> patients generated anticipatory SCRs or expressed a
> "hunch" (Figure

1<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#FF1>).
> By card 80, many normal participants expressed
> knowledge about why, in the
> long run, decks A and B were bad and decks C and D
> were good. We called this
> period conceptual. Seven of the 10 normal
> participants reached the
> conceptual period, during which they continued to
> avoid the bad decks, and
> continued to generate SCRs whenever they considered
> sampling again from the
> bad decks. Remarkably, the three normal participants
> who did not reach the
> conceptual period still made advantageous choices

[4]<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Damasio%20Article%20-%20Science.htm#22>.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/45/16075.