[ExI] This would almost qualify as hilarious ... if only it weren't true

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Jun 12 03:41:06 UTC 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Olga Bourlin wrote:
> I didn't think it was possible for our "leaders" in the Pentagon to
> be even
> more stupid than I already thought they were.  I was wrong.

There is nothing stupid about it, and I would suggest that your
assertion that it is betrays a pretty basic ignorance of the several
decades of solid scientific and military research that is being
applied here.  The only "problem" is that it plays to your
ideological biases and preconceptions and triggers an emotional
reaction on that basis.

A lot of non-lethal chemical weapons research dating back to at least
the 1960s is based on mechanisms of temporary radical behavior
modification, usually below the level where the targets would realize
they are being chemically manipulated, to destroy military unit
cohesion.  At a minimum the US and the Soviet Union did extensive
research and testing in this area.  By chemically inducing behaviors
far outside the norm in various ways for individuals in manners that
destroy trust and implicit social contracts, you can effectively
render a military unit useless without killing anyone or doing
permanent physical damage (psychological damage might be another
story).  This is not theory, these agents have seen limited use in
the field, and testing and research has shown that the principle is
very sound in practice.  If you destroy the social structure of a
military unit, you have all but destroyed the unit whether or not the
soldiers and equipment are still around.

The novelty and potential value of a chemical weapon that can induce
homosexual behavior in military troops is obvious when you consider
that a rather substantial percentage of the cultures in the world
that find themselves in regular military conflicts have very strong
taboos against homosexuality.  What would be the psychological impact
of such a weapon on a military unit from a culture in which
homosexuality is not only strongly forbidden but punishable by
death?  I expect that some left-wing ideologues would find that
scenario -- extreme homophobes inexplicably compelled to homosexual
behavior -- to be schadenfreudelicious.

In my book, these kinds of chemically induced mind games are far
better than killing folks.  I can think of far worse fates.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers