[ExI] This would almost qualify as hilarious ... if only it weren't true

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 12 06:34:04 UTC 2007

At 11:09 PM 6/11/2007 -0700, Olga wrote:

>besides - with the bigotry gays have had to endure in the military -
>wasn't this idea one of, oh, I don't know ... unmitigated hypocrisy?

No, surely it was one of unmitigated *consistency*.

If homosexual contact is socially constructed as the most loathsome
and ignoble experience a manly man can suffer, it follows that
forcibly driving the foe into such behavior will yield the most
effective kinds of confusion, self-hatred, mutual detestation and
demoralizing fear. Actually, given the persisting bigotry against
homosexual behavior, that expectation seems, alas, all too likely to
be correct in the majority of servicemen.

Of course it mightn't work. It might be a lame idea based precisely
on such foolish bigotry (as if, say, we had to fear a "Muslim bomb"
that would turn Westerners into devout terrorists or a "Fahrenheit
451 bomb" that would instantly make us all rush to set our books on
fire). But as J. Andrew hinted, there's reason to think that the
pharmacology of [something along these lines of rabid, indiscriminate
sexual arousal] is far from impossible. People don't take Ecstasy for
fun, you know. No, wait, let me rephrase that.

Damien Broderick