[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 12 12:26:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:12:58PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>    If you give a difficult problem to an individual, and you give the
>    same problem to a collection of individuals, such as the scientific
>    community, the latter is much more likely to come up with a solution.

If you look at "Collapse" you'll see a list of easy problems the
doomed socities failed to recognize as a problems, save of trying
to solve them.

Have a look at the daily news (I do that a few times each year),
and how they correlate with large-scale trouble diagnostics.

Looks about as intelligent as an overnight culture to me.
Very different from social insects.

>    The same could be said of the historical process: the modern car as a
>    collaborative effort of engineers going back to whenever the wheel was
>    invented. So although the collective cannot be called a single
>    conscious mind (there's no evidence of that, at any rate), it is a
>    very effective problem-solving entity.

I do think that superpersonal organisations levels are individual personas.
They live in a weird space (legal threat incoming, fire up your attorney array!),
and as people go they're pathological thugs.