[ExI] Italy's Social Capital

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Jun 12 19:54:30 UTC 2007

Lee:
>Is there nothing constructive the Fascists could have done?"

Last Wednesday afternoon during my tourist excursion in Rome, I explored
the ruins in the city center, on both sides of the road called Via dei
Fori Imperiali. It might seem odd that there is a major thoroughfare in
the middle of 2000 year old ruins.

So what is it doing there, you ask?

In 1933, Mussolini, dictator and urban planner, wanted to see the
Colosseum from his office in Palazzo Venezia and impress his pal Hitler
during his future visit to Rome. So he rammed a wide boulevard through
the ancient heart of Rome, straddling the Forum of Peace, Imperial
Forums and Trajan's Forum. He tore down Renaissance churches, places,
and medieval housing as part of his 'beautification' project.

See the rectangular white building in the distance with the statues
on the roof?
That would be Mussolini's office...
http://www.tropicalisland.de/italy/rome/forum_romanum/pages/FCO%20Rome%20-%20Via%20dei%20Fori%20Imperiali%20with%20Basilica%20di%20Costantino%203008x2000.html

And Mussolini's office window, as see from the Colosseum
http://sights.seindal.dk/img/orig/870.jpg

So there you have it, Lee. Mussolini's constructive effort for an office view.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Associate Research Scientist, Planetary Science Institute (PSI), Tucson