[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jun 17 07:18:40 UTC 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 11:22 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> The most frightening thing for some people contemplating a
> technological future is that they will somehow be forced to become
> cyborgs or whatever lies in store. It is of course very important
> that no-one be forced to do anything they don't want to do.
> Interestingly, aside from some small communities such as the Amish,
> the differences between adoption rates of new technology have almost
> always been to do with differences in access, not a conscious
> decision to remain old-fashioned. There won't be coercion, but there
> will be seduction.

Actually something more personally frightening is a future where no
amount of upgrades or at least upgrades available to me will allow me
to be sufficiently competitive.    At least this is  frightening an a
scarcity society where even basic subsistence is by no means
guaranteed.   I suspect that many are frightened by the possibility
that humans, even significantly enhanced humans, will be second class
by a large and exponentially increasing margin.    In those
circumstances I hope that our competition and especially Darwinian
models are not universal.

- samantha