[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 17 07:12:40 UTC 2007

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

>It is of course very important that no-one be forced
>to do anything they don't want to do.

Another point I agree on.

>Interestingly, aside from some small communities
>such as the Amish, the differences between adoption
>rates of new technology have almost always been to
>do with differences in access, not a conscious
>decision to remain old-fashioned.

I think that what you acknowledge as small communities
is substantially larger than what you think.  The
Amish are full aware of the access, they "choose" not
to accept it based on old-fashioned beliefs. I can
name a lot of institutions that have substantial
benefactors to old fashioned beliefs.

>There won't be coercion, but there will be seduction.

I wonder, what level of seduction led the Amish to
accept electricity as they previously would never have
even acknowledged the idea?  Although they have only
recently acknowledged a need for the use, it is still
called progress.  Therefore, progress must take time
to achieve it's purpose. Do you agree?

Just Curious,
Anna