[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Jun 17 22:33:51 UTC 2007

TheMan has written

> If you make an exact copy P2 of a person P1, and kill
> P1 at the same time, the person P1 will continue
> his/her life as P2, right?

Bear in mind that nothing "flows" or moves from the
location of P1 to P2.  It's not as if a spirit or awareness
that was formerly at the location of P1 has now moved
on to the location P2.

Everything that is *now* true---after P1's demise---
was just as true before P1's death.  That is, to the extent
that P1 "continues" in P2's location, well, he was already
"continuing" there before he snuffed out.

However, you are entirely correct IMO:  namely, if you
have a copy running somewhere, then you are already
"there".  In short, one person may execute in two locations
at the same time.  Would it be easier to think of a computer
program?  Can you imagine the hubris, arrogance, and sheer
ignorance of a computer program that announced "No copy
of me is really me.  I am executing in only one location."  Well,
it's the same with us!

> And P2 doesn't have to be exactly like P1, right?
> Because even within our lives today, we change from
> moment to moment.

Right.

> So as long as the difference between
> P1 and P2 is not bigger than the biggest occurring
> difference between two moments after each other in any
> person's life today (i.e. the biggest such difference
> that still doesn't break that person's personhood
> continuity), P1 will still go on living as P2 after
> P1:s death, right?

"Personal continuity" is a mistaken notion.  Aren't you
the same person you were before last month?  And so what
would change if miraculously last month really had never
happened, your molecules just happened to assume their
current configuration?  It would not diminish your identity
an iota.  Continuity is a red-herring.

> But then, obviously, there are differences that are
> too big. If P2 rather than resembling P1 resembles
> P1:s mother-in-law, and no other copy is made of P1
> anywhere when P1 is killed, P1 will just cease to have
> any experiences - until a sufficiently similar copy of
> P1 is made in the future.

Correct.

> Now suppose P2 is a little different from P1, but
> still so similar that it allows for personhood
> continuity of P1 when P1 is killed. Suppose a more
> perfect copy of P1, let's call him P3, is created at
> the same time as P2 is created and P1 killed. Then, I
> suppose, P1, when killed, will go on living as P3, and
> not as P2. Is that correct?

No, that is incorrect  :-)     The sublime perfection of P3
doesn't diminish the fact that P2 is still the same person
as P1.  Suppose I am P2.  I am different from who I was
yesterday (P1) because you sent some thugs to my house
last night and they roughed me up for an hour. I still have
the bruises, but I am still the same person that I was
yesterday.

Now it is revealed that just before the thugs arrived, a
perfect copy of me was created in Hawaii.  This Hawaiian
version was not injured last night, instead sleeping sounding
the entire time.  This Hawaiian version, P3, is a more perfect
replica of P1 than I am.  But does this change what is true
about me?  Of course not.  I am still the same person I was.

I believe that the rest of your post illustrates one way of
coming to the truth:  namely, you are the same person
however many concurrent copies of you there are, and
the same person inhabits all those copies.  To the degree
that some have become quite different---or have been
forced to become quite different---is exactly the extent
to which each one no longer resembles you.  Logically
it's quite simple. But it does take some time to get used
to.

Lee