[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 11:50:39 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On 18/06/07, *Samantha Atkins* <sjatkins at mac.com
> <mailto:sjatkins at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>     An autonomous AI thinking a million times or more faster than you
>     is not a "tool".   As such minds become possible do you believe
>     that all instances will be constrained to being controlled by
>     ultra slow human interfaces?   Do you believe that in a world
>     where we have to argue to even do stem cell research and human
>     enhancement is seen as a no-no that humans will be enhanced as
>     fast as more and more powerful AIs are developed?  Why do you
>     believe this if so?
>

> Do you consider the problem of developing superhuman AI easier than
> the problem of developing efficient human interfaces with the AI?

Technically or socio-politically?  I consider SAI much easier to develop
when socio-political pressures are factored in and much more likely to
be developed without significant interference.   Technically I think it
is easier to develop brain/computer interfaces of considerable
capability.  If cell-phones and such start being embedded inside our
heads and if the cell phone companies and other players allow a fully
open TCP-IP stack to the internet I might change by mind about what is
politically most likely.

- samantha