[ExI] SIAI Interview Series: Aubrey de Grey

Thomas thomas at thomasoliver.net
Wed Jun 20 18:53:10 UTC 2007

On Jun 20, 2007, at 1:17 AM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org
wrote:

> Video interview with Aubrey is now online:
>
> http://www.singinst.org/blog/2007/06/18/siai-interview-series-
> aubrey-de-grey-methuselah-foundation/
>
> -Tyler

Aubrey de Grey questions the meaning of the term transhuman.  Does it
mean transition toward a posthuman state that regards the human in a
way similar to the way we humans now regard Neanderthals as subhuman?
-- Or does de Grey's  preferred meaning, ascribed to Huxley, suit us
better, to wit:  trancending of previous humanity while remaining
human?  I haven't chosen a position on this question and I'd like the
see what others here think.  Do humans possess a certain defining
attribute that deserves to be retained by all our descendants?  Can
we name it?  -- Thomas
Thomas at ThomasOliver.net