[ExI] Fear of Death

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 21 06:59:43 UTC 2007

Jef writes things like

> I wanted to let Lee's statement lie.  But since you've brought it up,
> consider its evasiveness.
> I told Lee I suspected his motivation was not so much to understand
> personal identity, but to comfort his fear of death.  He evaded the
> point of the question, which was his motivation, and pretended as if

What effrontery.  How can you be so cocksure that you know
all about my motivations and all about my fear of death and all
about whether I was truly being evasive or whether I was pretending?
Don't you suspect even a little bit the possibility that we are in a very
low bandwidth environment here, and that possibly I haven't been
clear, or that possibly you have misunderstood?

My goodness.  Bless my soul, but I cannot for the life of me feel
that I am being evasive about any of this trash. (Now if you were
to start inquiring about aspects of my personal life, or about some
decisions I may have made in the past, and were I forced to
answer, then, yes, I'd have some grounds (so far as I can see, again)
for being evasive.  But about this stuff?  Sir, I think your accusations
groundless!)

> He evaded the point of the question, which was his motivation,
> and pretended as if the point was his fear of death, which of
> course is already ameliorated by his theory of multiple copies
> of himself and his cryonics policy.
>
> Fear death or not; that wasn't the point.

Well pray tell, then, what exactly was the point?  (Maybe it's in your
next email I see coming up, in "Next moment....".

Lee