[ExI] RIP Singularitarianism

Benjamin Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Thu Jun 21 11:28:00 UTC 2007

> Either way, explicit Singularitarian work is
> already dead, cf: SIAI, Novamente.

Hi,

I am not sure what this is supposed to mean, but I don't like the
sound of it! ;-)

Novamente LLC is an active AGI and "AI in virtual
worlds" software firm, which is
growing rather than shrinking at the moment, and certainly
not dead.  List members not in the know may look at

http://www.novamente.net

As an AGI software project and as a software company, Novamente is
not tied to any particular "ism" ... and as it happens, on our internal
Novamente mailing lists, very little time is spent on futurist philosophy;
not because team members lack interest, but because we've already
discussed the relevant futurological issues amongst ourselves to a
satisfactory level.

Different NM team members share
different beliefs and long-term goals, but all are committed to
creating AGI at the human level and beyond; and at creating,
teaching and selling intelligent agents in virtual worlds as a medium
for creating profit on the path to AGI.

Russell, I'm not sure what problem you have with our work?

We are certainly not, in your words,
"in a sphexish loop that computers will spring out of basements and
start devouring human flesh and conquering the world."

Rather, we are systematically creating a complex software system based
on a precise design grounded in cognitive and computer science and
systems theory.

And, FYI, the bulk of our servers reside in the server room of our
9'th floor Belo Horizonte office, not in anyone's basement (although a
basement location might well lower the air conditioning bill!).

--
Ben Goertzel
CEO, Novamente LLC