[ExI] Fear of Death

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 21 19:28:44 UTC 2007

At 11:02 AM 6/21/2007 -0700, Jef Allbright wrote to Lee:

>Rather than respond to the assertion, you denied the consequent.
>
>Kinda like the following:
>
>Mary:  "Mike, it seems as if carrying that handgun helps you
>compensate for feeling somewhat impotent in a dangerous world."
>
>Mike: "No way!", fondling the long, hard barrel of his gun, "On the
>contrary, I feel more powerful than almost anyone else I know."

Maybe it's more like this, though:

Mary:  "Mike, it seems as if denying your natural fear of death helps you
compensate for feeling somewhat impotent in a dangerous world."

Mike: "No way! I laugh in the face of death. Since I had my amygdala
re-tuned, I couldn't give a shit."

Lee, however, would never be so coarse.

Damien