[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 18:58:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:08:21 -0400, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> .... recall that according to my
> beliefs it is inherantly selfish for an instance of me to kill itself
> immediately so that its duplicate gets $10M, given that one of
> them has to die and if the instance protects itself, then it does
> not get the $10M.  That may seem an unsual way to use the
> word "selfish", but I mean it most literally.  Were "I" and my
> duplicate in such a situation, "this instance" would gladly kill
> itself because it would (rightly, I claim) anticipate awakening
> the next morning $10M richer.

I'm pretty sure that if you kill "this instance" of yourself today, you
will never again have to worry about money, because you will never wake up.

The best you can hope is that your now wealthy duplicate will remember you
fondly while you're pushing up daisies.

I'll write your epitaph:

Here lies the body of Lee Corbin,
Who thought he could die and return again.
But his dupe was not him,
Such was only his whim,
For Lee now it's as though he had not been.

:)

-gts