[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 22:23:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:20:53 -0400, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> Damn.  Now I feel compelled to rebut this claim else there might be
> more confusion as people assume that I support the competitor of my
> competitor.

Apparently then you think we're all sitting here at our computers
wondering and worrying about what Jef might think about what Gordon might
think about what Lee might think. But I rather doubt that, Jef. It's not
all about you.

In any case my view on this silly subject is roughly similar to yours, but
I don't endorse your view anymore than I endorse Lee's.

As I see it, will is fundamental. I take will as primitive in a
Neitzschian/Shopenhauerish sort of way. When I speak of 'agency' I refer
to that faculty by which we act as the executors of our wills. Where there
are two wills, there are two agents and two identities.

The wills of duplicates begin to diverge at the first moment after
duplication. As above, at that moment there exist two wills, two agents
and two identities.

One day Lee and his duplicate will sit down for breakfast together. Lee
will will to have corn flakes; his duplicate will will to have wheaties.
At that moment Lee and his dupe will realize they are not the same person
after all. In fact they never were the same person; it simply took a while
for their wills to diverge sufficiently to make the truth apparent.

-gts

PS I thought we had an agreement.