[ExI] Happy Solstice!

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Sat Jun 23 09:30:00 UTC 2007

You're probably right [and thanks Amara for the super links] but that's
not my question.  :  )
My question is, why is it _called_ "midsummer solstice" in cultures that
believe it's the beginning of summer? It seems as foolish as saying
"Please enter through the middle door"  meaning the one at the start, or
"I'll meet you midweek" when one means Monday. This started because I
heard a parent say "Midsummer solstice is the start of summer" to a
child and I could see the confusion on the kid's face as he tried to
work it out! These Romans are crazy!  :  )
Best,
AR
********