[ExI] brain and attention

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 23 18:51:23 UTC 2007

http://uninews.unimelb.edu.au/articleid_4334.html

Interactions in the brain which enable us to pay
attention to some of the things we see while
barely noticing others have been discovered in
research at the University of Melbourne.

The findings are the first to show the complex
interactions between two different areas of the
brain when an object catches our eye. They were
published in the international journal Science last week.

The study was conducted by Dr Yuri Saalmann and
Associate Professor Trichur Vidyasagar (Optometry
and Vision Sciences), and Dr Ivan Pigarev, a
visiting scientist from the Russian Academy of Sciences...

Associate Professor Vidyasagar and his colleagues
found that... the lateral intraparietal cortex –
which controls attention – stimulates activity in
a lower area called the medial temporal area,
which influences the processing of visual information.
[etc]