[ExI] are spam levels dropping?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:30:40 UTC 2007

On 6/26/07, ben wrote:
> Me too. I thought it was just random variation.
> Now i think it might be just random variation.
>
> Unless anybody else has noticed the same thing?
> In which case it still might be just random variation.
>
> Damn, i hate statistics.

There has been a slight overall drop in spam recently.

Quote:
Worldwide, 72.7% of all e-mail was tagged as spam by MessageLabs
during May 2007. That figure is below the six-month average of 75.3%
and far lower than the highest-ever figure of 94.5%, recorded in July
2004.
---------------

But spammers are also changing their tactics. (So what's new?).

MessageLabs say that they are now detecting what they call 'spam
spikes', where thousands of spam emails are targeted at specific
domains.
"The purpose of a spam spike is to defeat appliance-based anti-spam
systems that rely heavily on signatures, rather like desktop antivirus
software," MessageLabs said in a report it just published.

So, provided you haven't been targeted, you should be seeing some
reduction in spam.

See:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023080

BillK