[ExI] What surveillance solution is best - Orwellian, David Brin's, or ...?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:31:46 UTC 2007

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 03:30:18PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> > Surely bugging every house wouldn't be either more difficult or more
> > expensive than, say, a space program. I think the reason no-one has
> > tried it is evidence that there are some things which even dictators
> > fear would be too unpopular.
>
> Of course they would have to know in order it to be unpopular

Yes, if they could do it covertly it would be a different matter. It
would be ironic if the citizens of East Germany put up with the Stasi
but drew the line at Big Brother in their homes, only to let Big
Brother in once the Stasi were gone. I realise this may turn out to be
more of a dirge than an argument for privacy...

--
Stathis Papaioannou