[ExI] Minds, Personalities, and Love

Thomas thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Jun 28 06:51:47 UTC 2007

Jef Allbright wrote:

> [...]  "[human agency] is subtly distinct from the
> concept of free will, the philosophical doctrine that our choices are
> not the product of causal chains, but are significantly free or
> undetermined. Human agency entails the uncontroversial, weaker claim
> that humans do in fact make decisions and enact them on the world."
>
> [For Thomas, the above statement indicates why thinking in terms of
> agency is more coherent and extensible than thinking in terms of will.
> Will is more of a special case.]

Yes, I agree with the rider that will, defined as "the faculty of
conscious and especially of deliberate action" cannot be excluded
from qualifying personhood.   Free-from-determinism-will makes no sense.

> [...] Consciousness (and Will) goes along for the ride,
> not because it's essential, but because it's value-added.

Not essential for life or observable identity, but personality?
Without capacity for consciousness you lose your personhood.
Someone else might see you as a person, but they have a sad
misunderstanding of the facts. -- Thomas

Thomas at ThomasOliver.net