[ExI] agency-based personal identity

Bo Morgan neptune at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 28 15:25:57 UTC 2007

Here is a quote that describes the task involved in this "instrospection"
study that claims to have localized the homunculus in the brain:

--
The experiment was conducted in both the visual and auditory domains and
consisted of three conditions: (1) an easy categorization condition
(slow), in which subjects categorized visual and auditory objects
presented at a slow rate (one stimulus/ 3 s.); (2) an introspective
condition (introspection), having identical stimuli and motor responses
except that subjects were required to self-introspect about their own
emotional responses (aroused versus neutral) toward these stimuli, as used
in previous experiments (Bradley and Lang, 1994; Rotshtein et al., 2001);
and (3) a difficult categorization task (rapid) similar to the slow
condition but at triple the stimulation rate. Thus, slow and introspection
conditions were identical in terms of sensory stimuli and motor output but
differed in the cognitive task. On the other hand, slow and rapid
conditions were similar in the cognitive task but differed in the
sensorimotor processing and attentional loads.
--

It is not clear to me how (2) is a good example of homunculus activity.
Perhaps this is because I don't understand what they mean by

Bo