[extropy-chat] book review: The Human Touch by Michael Frayn

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 06:00:36 UTC 2007

At 12:42 AM 3/2/2007 -0500, PJ wrote:

>re-reading it, it's still confusing.)  [Does that mean you disagree
>with his disagreement with the often disagreement-provoking Chomsky...?  ;-) ]

There's no way to tell from that paragraph: I'm just summarizing the
great, even absurd, plenitude of the domains he takes in, and his
unfashionable (e.g. contra Chomsky) or apparently paradoxical (e.g.
believers are not really believers) stances.

I might as well add that after my piece appeared in an Australian
newspaper I got a very pleasant letter from Frayn's old Cambridge
philosophy tutor (who is profoundly and repeatedly acknowledged in
the book), who commented that he'd eagerly read all the reviews he
could find and regarded mine as the only one "that has put precise
fingers on the two central defects of the work - its tackling far too
much, and its being organised around a non-existent 'paradox'." FWIW. :)

Damien Broderick