[extropy-chat] A movie recommendation

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Fri Mar 2 18:32:17 UTC 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 12:20 PM, John K Clark wrote:

> If you have not already seen the great movie The Prestige do
> yourself a
> favor and see it immediately, but don't read any more of this message.

Leaving

spoiler

space

intact.

> "Randall Randall" <randall at randallsquared.com>
>
>> As for the movie supporting your view of copies, I don't think it
>> did.
>> The makers clearly wanted us to see the the copykiller as a bad
>> person -
>
> But it was the original Angier who did the first killing, shooting
> his poor
> copy the first time he used the machine just a few seconds after he
> created him.

Yes, it was (some) Angier I was referring to.  The reaction
that those I watched it with was horror, not "oh, that was
a neat trick which didn't harm anyone!", as I imagine you'd
say.

> My favorite line was when Angier said " It took courage to
> walk into that machine every night, not knowing if I'd be the man
> in the
> tank drowning or the man in The Prestige". Of course he was both.

On the face of it, it seemed that the original was the one
killed every night.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"[W]e ARE the market, this IS the market working, there's nothing