[extropy-chat] The Problem of Consciousness

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 16:27:45 UTC 2007

"> The question remains in our universe of thoughts, why is there
> something rather than nothing?

"A still more fundamental question: how do we know there really is
something?
Can it be proven?  And why do zen masters speak slowly and distinctly
like
Master Po?  It's really hard to imagine a fast talking auctioneer
spewing
koans rapid fire."
___________

A good question so to speak. Our minds enjoy to be entertained by
thought that provokes thought. How do thoughts know consciousness or
does the organic brain matter experience pain or suffering? In the
event of a stroke, some brain cells die but these cells cannot
communicate the sensation of pain, the effects are manifested only on
the loss of function i.e. the loss of cognitive or motor functions as
the case maybe.

Evolution tells us this process of consciousness arise from interactive
processes from the cellular level to continuous growth of interactions
with different energies of consciousness. Sorry if this sounds
circular. Rocks don't exhibit a high level of consciousness as a Rocket
scientist does. If an astronaut does not pay attention to what he is
doing, we observed his level of consciousness is diminished to a state
of potentiality.

We can prove the existence of consciousness by using direct
observation, by analytical thinking and by using hi-tech monitoring
system/scientific method of investigation. Problem is the
subject/consciousness becomes fuzzy when the observer becomes the
observed.

Terry